25 July 2001

family history

I've been researching my family's history lately. As it turns out, on my mother's side we've been Presbyterians for a long time. My maternal grandparents - Mary McWilliams and Willis Mowday - were members of Coatesville PCUSA, in Chester County, PA. Their parents before them were members of Forks of the Brandywine (Brandywine Manor) PCUSA, several miles outside of Coatesville.

In fact the graveyard at the Manor Church is full of McWilliamses and several Mowdays and, in the case of the McWilliams line, goes back to my great-great-great-great-great grandmother Jane McWilliams who came from Ulster with her husband George in 1780. George, who pre-deceased her, is buried the the Presbyterian Church in Chambersburg, PA. Many of these family members served the Manor Church as trustees and elders over the years.

I'd love to research these Irish roots further. I suspect George and Jane were from either county Derry or Antrim. Whatever the case, it is encouraging to see our Father's covenant faithfulness in Christ generation unto generation.