07 March 2002

Somehow or another, I found myself yesterday morning at Princeton Seminary's used book sale.

No. I didn't find any of the books anyone in the blog world had mentioned to look out for. Actually, I was a bit disappointed. There were probably a hundred books or so that I would have bought, if I didn't own them already. But I did purchase eight books.

I was quite pleased to find James Weishiepl's Friar Thomas d'Aquino: His Life, Thought, and Works, an important book from 1970's that helped in the formation of what I suppose we could call "the New Perspective" on St. Thomas Aquinas. Also, in that connection, I bought Book Four of Thomas' Summa Contra Gentiles, the only volume that was still missing from my set of the Notre Dame Press edition.

For my wife (though I'll read it too), I got Of Fiction and Faith, a set of twelve interviews by W. Dale Brown of Calvin College in which he converses with American writers such as Frederick Beuchner, Robert Olen Butler, Garrison Keillor, and Walter Wangerin.

In light of my continued interest in Anglicanism, I was happy to find Peter Toon's The Anglican Way: Evangelical and Catholic as well as Price and Weil's Liturgy for Living in "The Church's Teaching Series" put out by Seabury.

The other purchases included Rodney Clapp's A Peculiar People: The Church as Culture in a Post-Christian Society, Karl Rahner's On the Theology of Death (in the "Quaestiones Disputatae" series from the early 1960s), and a volume of the exchange between William Gladstone and John Henry Newman concerning church authority, including Newman's seminal statement about the nature of conscience and the possibility of conscientious (though submissive) dissent from church authority.

If anyone is in the Princeton area the sale (which continues through tomorrow) is certainly worth a look, especially if you want to pick up the PCUSA Book of Confessions really cheap or would like a copy of the great old red Lutheran Service Book and Hymnal. They had plenty of both.