18 July 2002

Various books have arrived.

The first is Bel Canto, by Ann Patchett (HarperCollins 2001), a novel we are reading for one book club I'm in. I have no idea what it is about, except what I can glean from the back cover.

Then there is Richard Hays's The Moral Vision of the New Testament: A Contemporary Introduction to New Testament Ethics (HarperCollins 1996). This is for another book club I belong too, one that meets more sporadically, consists mostly of academics, and has been reading theological works.

I also picked up a copy of Soul Survivor: How My Faith Survived the Church by Philip Yancey (Doubleday 2001). It was recommended to me by some friends and sounded intriguing.

Finally, I obtained copies of The Desire of the Nations: Rediscovering the Roots of Political Theology by Oliver O'Donovan (Cambridge 1996) and (in the recommendation of Russ) 'A Faire and Easie Way to Heaven': Covenant Theology and Antinomianism in Early Massachusetts (Wesleyan 1978). The former is one of the best books on the Christian faith and politics that I've ever read, packed full of history, theology, philosophy, exegesis, and insight. The latter takes me back to my college senior thesis on the early American Puritans, supporting and deepening some of what I had argued then about the deficiencies of Perry Miller's interpretation (though I'm still a fan of Sacvan Bercovitch).