28 September 2004

studying the word

I've been leading Bible studies of one sort or another since the end of high school, now over (ahem) 17 years ago. Earlier in high school I taught 2-3 year old Sunday School and 3-4 grade catechism class (mostly the questions dealing with the 10 Commandments).

We're finishing up a book of Scripture soon in the study I currently lead and have begun discussing what we will look at next and, given my schedule, I'd prefer to do something I have some familiarity with teaching already.

Thinking back over what I've done before, I began to wonder what books of Scripture I've actually taught through (or at least facilitated discussion about), either in part or in whole. Here's the list, as far as I can remember:

Genesis
Exodus
Leviticus
Judges
Ruth
Job
assorted Psalms
Proverbs
Isaiah
Ezekiel
Daniel
Hosea
Joel
Amos
Jonah
Zachariah
Malachi
Matthew
Mark
John
Romans
1 Corinthians
2 Corinthians
Galatians
Ephesians
Philippians
1 Timothy
Philemon
Hebrews
James
1 Peter
1 John
Revelation


I don't record that in order to boast or anything. I don't even much remember the details of how some of those studies went at this point. And I imagine I might approach some of these biblical books a bit differently now than I like did, say, fifteen years ago.

But it is good to remind myself how much time I've actually spent in Scripture, especially when I feel like I'm sinking under volumes of philosophy, history, and theology, often which seem to have only the most tenuous connections to Holy Writ.