29 September 2004

voter registration

According to this article, voter registration in Philadelphia is having its biggest boom in 20 years. And I did my part to help--yes, me, the cynical GenXer who sometimes thinks, "Don't vote, it only encourages them" almost makes good sense.

I helped by participating in a faculty initiative at La Salle to get freshmen students (the ones least likely to be registered) to register--passing out forms during the First Year Odyssey classes, explaining the instructions, and collecting the forms to make sure they get delivered. I know similar pushes are going on at other area universities.

Among both my students and neighbors, opinions seem to run strong this year. So, while I don't have a horse in this race, it will be interesting to watch the whole election season play itself out.