01 July 2005

time to party

July 4th weekend is once again upon us here in the city where it all began and, once again, Philadelphia has been hosting a big party.

Today, assuming the weather holds out, there's a big dance at Strawberry Mansion Bridge over the Schuylkill River followed by fireworks. We probably won't go, but if the weather is clear enough, the fireworks should be easily visible and audible from our roof.

Of course, the really main event - that one that will max things out to capacity - is the big Live8 concert tomorrow, free on the Ben Franklin Parkway. While the Philly line-up is okay, I have to admit that I'd rather be in London. Still, Bon Jovi, Linkin Park, and Sarah McLachlan may motivate me enough to make an attempt at going down to the main stage area, which is easily within biking or, if I'm a bit more ambitious, jogging distance.

If I do make it to the concert, Philly has an open access wireless network along the whole Parkway, so perhaps I'll take my laptop and blog live from the event.

Well, for now I guess I'll go clean out the gutters, trim some bushes, and stake up some of our runaway cucumber vines.