15 August 2005

music tag

Andrew tagged me with this music questionnaire thingummy that's making its rounds. So here goes:

Amount of music on your computer?

That depends on the computer. I'm using the laptop right now and it's only got 145 songs on it. I've got access, however, to something called "Real Rhapsody" from my university for $2/month and it lets me stream unlimited amounts of music from its collection, so the "amount of music on your computer" question is kinda moot.

Currently listening to?

O Sister! The Women's Bluegrass Collection, which is a follow up of sorts to the soundtrack from O Brother, Where Art Thou?.

Five songs that mean a lot to you...

Top 5 albums?

Hmm. Gosh. These two questions are ones I'd answer very differently if I were in a different mood or had other things on my mind. In fact, when it comes to music, I'm pretty sure my brain just doesn't function in terms of individual songs and albums.

Thus, instead of these two "top five" lists, I'm going to list the top ten composers and artists whose music (at least at this moment) means the most to me, in alphabetical order:

[1] Anonymous 4. The sing medieval and Renaissance era chant, polyphony, and the like, but the way in which their strong voices blend perfectly, even in live performance, is incredible.

[2] Johann Sebastian Bach. The B Minor Mass, the Christmas Oratorio, and the two great Passions are probably among my favorite pieces of choral sacred music since I was young. And that bare scratches the surface.

[3] David Bowie. Yes, he's a freak. But he's a talented freak whose musical output has a lot of variety has retained my interest for decades.

[4] Celtic. Okay, that's a genre rather than an artist or composer, and a highly diverse genre at that. I looked through my drawer of Celtic CDs and couldn't narrow it down. While there's some Celtic stuff that I don't care for, I love the vast bulk of it.

[5] Edvard Grieg. Though I'm generally not a fan of most 19th century music, this Norwegian composer has long fascinated me with his inventive compositions, often rooted in folk music.

[6] Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. While the unfinished Requiem is high on my list of pieces I most appreciate, I find almost of all of Mozart's work to be great.

[7] Peter, Paul, and Mary. There's not really an explanation for why these guys are on the list except that I've been listening to their brand of 1960s, socially conscious, folk music since I was a kid and have been to several of their concerts. For better or worse, their version of "Blowing in the Wind" is woven deeply into my psyche.

[8] Frank Sinatra. My Dad listened to Frank since I was a small child, particularly since one of our local radio stations featured "Friday with Frank" every week. As a result I know the words to almost every Sinatra hit without ever having tried to learn them. Predictably enough, outside of some hymns and Christian children's song, Sinatra's version of "Come Fly with Me" is my daughter's favorite song, which goes back to me "flying" her on my knees and feet since she was a baby, singing it to her.

[9] The Smiths. I was a teenager in the 80s, of a slightly artsy, morose sort. Enough said.

[10] U2. They're U2 and they're still going strong. What's more they produce songs that are muscially complex and with literate lyrics.

I hereby tag...

Richard, the musicologyman.