15 November 2005

truth in all its glory

I recently finished reading Truth in All Its Glory: Commending The Reformed Faith (P&R 2004) by William Edgar, professor of apologetics at Westminster Theological Seminary. I must say that it is one of the finest and most winsome, relatively brief explications of the Reformed faith that I've read.

I would recommend it to those within the Reformed tradition who want to gain a growing appreciation for the richness, thoughtfulness, and diversity of that tradition, as well as to those who find themselves in other Christian traditions who want to understand what Reformed theology looks like at its best. Having grown weary of the internecine bickering that seems to plague some parts of the Reformed world, I found Edgar's positive and pastoral treatment (even when I might have quibbled with some details) one that was spiritually refreshing and renewed my love for and commitment to a Reformed expression of the Christian faith.

The book begins in the historical roots of Reformed theology in the catholic faith of the church and proceeds through a short systematic presentation of its distinctives. Edgar completes his treatment by exploring areas of application and further thought and development, never failing to consider the aesthetic dimensions of the Gospel of grace.