11 May 2006

presbyterians & presbyterians together

presbyterians & presbyterians together

"Presbyterians & Presbyterians Together: A Call to Charitable Theological Discourse" may be of interest to some people, particularly from within my own confessional tradition. Also, as a signatory myself, and a person who has supported the idea since it was first broached, I heartily endorse the effort: presbyterianstogether.org. Those of you who read my blog regularly know how I try to uphold the ideals of the document, even if I do, regrettably, fall short far too often.

If you are considering signing the document yourself, please read it carefully and understand what you are bearing witness to and committing yourself to. Know also that, since this is public, others may well hold you accountable for sins of the tongue (or the keyboard) if it appears that you are falling short. But Christian accountability is one that is directed toward forgiveness and reconciliation, so be of good cheer.

Here's prayer that's been much on my lips and in my heart in recent days:
Bless us, O God,
with the vision of your being and beauty,
that in the strength of it
we may be neither hasty
nor slothful in our calling.
And give us grace to be patient with others
as you are patient with us,
that we may gently bear with their faults
while we strive at all times
to root out our own;
for your mercy's sake.
Amen.
update: It appears that the "signatures" page now includes additional signatures.