04 July 2006

founders' faith

founders' faith

In "The Faith of Our Founders" (Christianity Today, July 2006), Sam Guthrie interviews James H. Hutson, chief of the manuscript division of the Library of Congress, who edited The Founders on Religion: A Book of Quotations (Princeton, 2005). The interview provides a brief synopsis of the religious outlook of America's founding figures, who were the key architects of the colonies' secession from their mother country.

I've often mused about where my sympathies might have fallen had I lived during the time of the American revolution. Sometimes I speculate that I might have remained loyal to the Crown. Sometime I wonder if I might have been a musket-toting revolutionary. Of course, either way it's one of those impossible speculations since I can only imagine what the person who I am now (with a couple centuries of hindsight) might have thought had I lived back then. But, of course, if I had lived back then, I'd would likely be a very different person from the one I am now on a whole range of cultural, political, and philosophical issues, even setting aside the genetic difficulties of the proposition.

At any rate, I do plan on enjoying some good English beer today in honor of our mother country while also celebrating our independence.