19 July 2006

peace like a river

peace like a river

Laurel is involved this summer in a women's book group and the upcoming selection is Leif Enger's Peace Like a River. I had the privilege of hearing Enger speak a couple of years ago at a conference at Baylor University. His humorous and engaging talk struck me at the time as almost a strange intersection between Garrison Keillor and David Sedaris and made me want to read his book. But I hadn't taken the time to do so until this past week.

Laurel and I have been reading Peace Like a River aloud and, though we haven't yet finished, I'm enjoying it immensely. It's a quirky story - part road-trip, part coming of age, part Western, part supernatural thriller - and woven together in the voice of a now-grown middle child and interspersed with bits of his little sister's epic western poetry.

If you haven't read it, I'd certainly recommend it. And if you have read it, don't comment too much since we're not finished the book yet!