18 September 2007

bogged down

We're barely a month into the semester and I seemed to have fallen out of the habit of posting here. I have several other writing projects I'm trying to poke away at and have been slowly updating various writings on my website and hope to add some new items soon.

At the moment I'm also sick - some sort of respiratory virus that is circulating around campus and affecting a great number of my students who, in turn, have been generous enough to share it with me.

So, I sit here in office hours with a huge thermos of hot tea perusing my mail. Among various notices and such, I received information on the upcoming Eastern Division meeting of the American Philosophical Association, which, in addition to a list of various scheduled presentations, also includes a lot of advertising from publishers.

Among the interesting features of the book ads are the sheer number of publications concerning religion and which provide translations of ancient and medieval texts, both new translations of previously translated works and, even better, many previously untranslated works. With our collection of mouldering journals and notices, I was able to compare the current offerings with those from 30 or more years ago and the interest in religion and pre-modern texts seems to represent a marked shift.

At any rate, the following titles caught my eye:
Persons: Human and Divine, edited by Peter van Inwagen and Dean Zimmerman (Oxford 2007)

Questions of Taste: The Philosophy of Wine, edited by Barry Smith (Oxford 2007)

Classical Arabic Philosophy: An Anthology of Sources, edited and translated by Jon McGinnis and David C. Reisman (Hackett 2007)

Commentary on Aristotle's Politics, by Thomas Aquinas, translated by Richard Regan (Hackett 2007)

Thinking on Screen: Film as Philosophy, by Thomas E. Wartenberg (Routledge 2007)

On Plato's Cratylus, by Proclus, translated by Brian Duvick (Cornell 2007)

On Providence, by Proclus, translated by Carlos Steel (Cornell 2007)

Reading Jean-Luc Marion: Exceeding Metaphysics, by Christina Gschwandtner (Indiana 2007)

Pious Nietzsche: Decadence and Dionysian Faith, by Bruce Ellis Benson (Indiana 2007)

Medieval Philosophy, edited by Gyula Klime, Fritz Alhoff, and Anand Jayprakash Vaidya (Blackwell 2007)

Knowledge of God, Alvin Plantinga and Michael Tooley (Blackwell 2007)

Aquinas the Augustinian, edited by Michael Dauphinais, Barry David, and Matthew Levering (CUA 2007)
Of course, I have no plans to purchase or even read all of these. I'll probably begin with the last one on Aquinas and then move to Benson's book on Nietzsche.

Now, some more tea.